bounces ! As teachers we need to capture every moment of activity to capitalize it into a learning experience
Through movement you can introduce the concept of spacial awareness , functional exercise
directional pathways body awareness large and fine motor skills and so much more
So why not use movement as a learning tool?
You can make what already comes naturally to children into a positive and fun experience by incorporating movement activities into the daily routine.
With guided movement activities, children will be engaged in a fun, productive activity yet being engaged
within listening skills, expected classroom behaviour
Any short, guided movement session allows children to use excess energy in a positive way,
which in turn helps them concentrate on the next part of the learning journey
Here are 5 simple, quick and effective activities
1. Gestures: Have the children think of as many gestures as they can. Happy , Sad Nervous , Angry , Scared , Sleepy , Excited etc
Ask them if they can think of ways to express themselves with their bodies instead of their voices;
for example, by shrugging their shoulders, pointing,shaking or nodding their
head, making faces,stomping their feet, or hugging.
Ask children to try to have a short conversation using only gestures.
2. Jelly on the Plate Get the children to stand in a space Chant the rhyme “Jelly on a plate Jelly on a plate
Wible wobbly wible wobbly Jelly on a plate ” As they wibble wobble , the children shake their arms ,
legs and jump around and then fall down to the ground.
3. The Walking Worm ! Standing in a space the children have to try to touch their toes , many children
will struggle with this so allow slight bend of knees .The children then walk their hands away from their feet to make a plank shape , then walk their feet to their hands and repeat
4. Spaghetti . Get the children to imagine they are pieces of spaghetti . They move around the room/space
as uncooked spaghetti ie Straight arms straight legs strong stiff moves. As the water starts to boil the children can start to move faster , become more flexible run on the spot (like they are boiling water ! ) and then they
are cooked ! They fall to the floor wobbly and bendy ! . Repeat this a couple of times, altering the length
of cooking time , over cooking the spaghetti so they become really bendy or under-cooking so they are stiff.
5. Transport . Get the children to move around the room/space in any direction prevent large walking circle pattern by weaving in and out . Call out various forms of Transport ie Car , Motorbike , Tractor ,
Horse and Train . The children then move like that particular Transport ie Motorbike is fast , weaving in and out ,nippy . Boat is slow and moves up and down through the waves . Horses Trot ! And Tractor goes
really really slow